Friday, January 5, 2007

Elephant Coin


Hi! I cleaned a nice coin last night and I have a question for our Coin Scholars and any others who are interested. As an artist I know how I feel about the centering marks on my elephant coin but how do you feel? As you view the coin you will see the centering marks on both sides.


What is the mainstream thinking about centering marks? Is it the same as an off centered coin? Please share with me your thoughts about the aesthetics of the coin. Also, will someone attrib the coin? I will appreciate any and all feedback.. God Bless.. Jerry..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)
I try to help you with identificate this coin.
I think next:
This coin of Seleucid King Antiochus IV Epiphanes. 175-164 BC

Reverse: I see "BASILEWS ANTIOXOY" and elephant head left.
Averse: Veiled bust of Laodice IV (wife of Antiochus IV)

Similar coins of Antiochus IV:
http://i016.radikal.ru/1105/4f/7904c2b68896.jpg
http://i028.radikal.ru/1105/a6/efcca439fdd6.jpg

p.s.: sorry for my bad english, if I write with errors.