Monday, July 9, 2007

Photographing Silver Coins: A Problem?


A group of my friends and I have been discussing the difficulty of photographing Silver. I have a very bright mirror finish Grosh and I decided to work with it this evening. Actually it is 2:50 AM in the morning and that is when I am most creative for some reason.

I used one light to photograph the coin. I held the light at 11 o’clock left and at a distance of about 18”. I used a 15-watt fluorescent spiral bulb I buy at Wal-Mart. I was getting a bit of shadow on the right so I placed a white mat board to the right and it reflected just enough light back to the coin to lighten the area. Please see coin photo above.

I wanted a strong contrast with silver so I used a very dark color. I think the dark negative space works really well in the composition. I am not quite satisfied with the coin “glare” though. I think I will photograph again and change my f-stop. I shoot in manual mode with my Fuji S3000 and enjoy being able to make the change as opposed to the auto mode. Please let me know if you think the coin is too bright. Also, I will be most happy to hear what you have to say about photographing silver.

I am going to live with this photo for a day or so and see how I feel about the values and intensities. If I decide to revisit and photograph again, I will share. Thanks and I hope this article causes you to get out your digital and try a few “silver coin” shots! I would love to see what you come up with.. God Bless.. Jerry..

No comments: