Tuesday, May 8, 2007

What In The World Are Seleucids Or "Bottle Caps?"


I recently zapped a group of coins I had purchased a couple years ago and the photograph you see above is the result of my effort. Most of the coins have a serrated edge. I know these are sometimes called "bottle caps." This tidbit pretty much exhausts my knowledge of what I call "seleucids."


I need to do a bit of homework and see what I really have. The coins are very small and average about 12-14mm. As pieces of art, I find the images to be both fascinating and beautiful. I "discovered" ancient coins about six years ago and I have been enchanted by them since. I have spent so much of my six years learning to clean coins that I have neglected the coins from a historical perspective.


I am profoundly image oriented so each coin I clean is pretty much like "found art" to me. The images satisfy my aesthetics and consequently I continue to clean more coins at the expense of my coin education. Please forgive my ramblings and I really have no idea where I am going with this. Speaking of attributions. Wow! My least favorite thing to do with ancient coins. Give me a bucket of crusties and I will spend endless hours working with them. I am pretty sure there are those who are the antithesis of me. They must hate cleaning.


I constantly have V (my wife) running from her reading room to my indoor studio to view each new discovery. She does get excited about the coins but in exchange I have to listen to her read to me from some Civil War war book. I simply do not have the sense of history many others have. OK, enough. Thanks for reading and I will appreciate the address of your favorite "bottle cap" source and any other information you care to share about these little beauties.. God Bless.. Jerry..


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tsk Tsk, Jerry those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Sorry my friend but I had to say it. LoL

Nice coins by the way.

Anonymous said...

Jerry

The best 'attribution tool' for the serrates I've found is here:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Serrated

They actually fall within a relatively narrow group so are not too hard to attribute

Good Luck with them

Jimbo